on The 1st of January opens one more chapter in the history of the surcharge to the IRS. At the end of four years, as a temporary and extraordinary that was born by the hand of Vítor Gaspar will finally end up on the first day of 2017 for many taxpayers, but it’s still not for everyone. Disappears the 1 of January to 1.2 million households, continues to 456 thousand, only leaving to be retained a phased approach.
When they receive the salary of January, taxpayers in the second division of the IRS will no longer pay a surcharge, similar to what happens with the contributors of the first rank. The second step relates to income tax basis between 7091 and 20.261 euros a year, with no withholding tax for those who earn up to 1705 euros gross per month.
contrary To what the Government has come to predict and enlist in the law, the surcharge will continue for the taxpayers of the ranks following, but with lower rates than this year: the surcharge goes to 0,88% in the third step, to 2.75% in the fourth and to 3,21% in the fifth.
Only instead of being retained in the 12 months 2017, the abolition will be made gradually. The surcharge will only be charged on the salary, up to a certain time of the year, depending on the level of income: taxpayers of the third tier will retain it in the first six months of the year (until 30 June); who is in the fourth or in the fifth level of income will retain the surcharge in the 11 months (until 30 November). And during this period it will be equal to the retention of this year.
The technique of phasing leads the executive António Costa you can explore and defend politically that the surcharge ends in 2017. Of the 1.6 million taxpayers that currently pay, 72% are no longer payable in January, being extinct in the retention of a phased manner for the remaining 28%. This group of 456 thousand, 92 thousand will continue to do retention for 11 months.
For these taxpayers, as long as there is retention, nothing changes for this year, because despite the annual fees are lower, the amount withheld monthly is equal to that of 2016. The rate "has been reduced in the same proportion of the number of months in which the leaves to be applied to their retention in the source, that is, six months for the third level, whose retention ceases to apply from July, and a month for the last two levels, whose retention ceases to apply in December. In the case of the third tier to the income tax basis for the annual excess 20.261 euros and up 40.522 euros, will match the 6/12 twelfth of the applicable fee in 2016, that is, the surcharge reduces from 1.75% to 0,88%," notes Cristina Reis, the team fiscalistas firm-PwC.
the Simulations made for the PUBLIC for this consultant to show that there is a tax relief for taxpayers in general. The main gain comes from the end or the reduction of the surcharge; but can also be explained by the update of the ranks of the IRS by 0.8% (the expected inflation for 2016).
See the situation of a couple with two children in which each spouse receives 800 euros gross per month. In this case, these taxpayers have not already paid the surcharge this year, but should also feel a decrease very slightly with the IRS because of the update of the ranks. The net income rises 15,68 euros per year (for 21.540,76 euros), the result of a descent of the IRS 874,92 euros for 859,24.
If each member of the couple with two children receive 3000 euros gross per month, the reduction of the surcharge allows a saving of € 521 (a surcharge to pay for passes for 1022 euros per year for 500,08 euros). With this, the net income grows 61,903,50 euros for 62,467,84 euros, a difference of greater than 560 euros, mainly due to break in the surcharge.
In the case of a single person with one child and who earn per month 3000 euros gross, the surcharge on annual passes 511,05 for 250,4 eur. The descent of the IRS is 282 euros, bringing the net income to increase from 30,951,75 euros for 31.233,93 euros a year, according to the simulation of the PwC.